Could you imagine how this would hugely affect your business?
Isn't that how most of us communicate with customers? ALL your following, income, growth in the hands of external sources?
Sounds scary to me, which is why (in amongst the SM platforms changing) I thought I'd zone in on the importance of your EMAIL LIST.
Studies show that email marketing is still by far the BEST means of marketing by something like 3000%. Having someone's email address is a privilege. I mean, you get to be in your customers most frequented and intimate spaces... HER INBOX!
Think about it, you go straight to her and she doesn't have to go looking for you, you have the opportunity to ADD VALUE to her life, build TRUST and bring her something exciting as much as you like AND your email list is your email list, it doesn't belong to the Social Media Gods, it's a part of your business and it's an understated ASSET in your business.
Thinking of selling your business? Start focusing growing your mailing list today, this could attract a much bigger sale price.
Here are some key pointers to get you started or get better results:
1. Download an app, there are tons and most are free.
I use Privy and Pixelpop.
Or Google "free website pop up apps" and find one that works for you. Install it on your website or speak with your IT Guru.
2. Next, you've got to offer something decent in return for someone's email address. I've experimented with a few and the one that works the best (and doesn't break the bank) is a 20% discount on first order. A 10% discount didn't work for me, 15% was better but my sign up conversion at 20% off first order is currently killing it. Bear in mind you may need to pivot with this often.
3. You're not limited to this - think Free shipping? Free product? Do you have a cheap product you can pop into every order? $20/$10 Gift Card straight to their inbox? Anything, remember business is all about what you can GIVE your customers.
4. Have your email opt-in pop up every time someone visits your store. Not every month or once per IP address. At the end of the day, your email list is your bread and butter, this is how you make money and live so don't be shy.
5. In addition to a Pop-Up Opt-In have a contact form on your Contact Page (not just your address and opening hours) so again, people need to submit their email as well as another sign-up form on your home page, perhaps running down the side of the page.
6. Advertise what your customer gets when they sign up, on your slideshow banner or Facebook ad? Instagram Post? Make it clear what you are giving away in exchange for their email address.
7. Lastly, I know it's a bit old school but who cares - in your physical stores on your counters either have an email address book where customers can leave their details and/or ask each customer when they purchase what their email address is. Again, don't be shy, ask them and have something in return like a postcard with a $10 voucher for next time they shop online or instore. WIN WIN.
Remember your email list is KEY. Still is and will be for a very long time, the most effective means of marketing.
Let me know how you go with this and if you need a hand. I'm more than happy to help you get this up and running in your store.
Love, Sandra-Lea. x